The COVEX Face Shield and Respirator (the “COVEX Shield”) helps protect the face and breathing zone against certain particles. The product consists of a non-sterile, reusable face shield with an integrated, easy-to-wear respirator mask. The mask is surrounded by disposable high-efficiency filtration fabric and pre-filter.
Materials of Reusable Components
• Shield: High-clarity polyester film.
• Foam: Expanded closed cell polyvinyl chloride/acrylonitrile butadiene blended foam rubber.
• Straps and cord stop: Nylon paracord
• There are no known concerns with any cleaning solutions affecting the components.
• Low- to intermediate-level cleaners used in healthcare facilities may be used to clean the COVEX Shield.
• Soap and water is also recommended for cleaning.
• Follow your institution’s cleaning protocols.
Do Not Use
Do NOT use high-level disinfectants (e.g. gluteraldehyde, peracetic acid) to clean the Mask. The CDC (USA) recommends against the use of high-level disinfectants for cleaning environmental surfaces that may directly contact skin since the chemicals are highly toxic.
Do NOT place the Shield in an autoclave, sterilizer, automatic washer-disinfector, or any other high-temperature system as this may damage the product.
- Prior to the initial use, and when returned from service after a period of non-use, the reusable COVEX Shield should be wiped thoroughly with a hospital-approved disinfectant or soap and water.
- Do not wash and reuse the Filter. The Filter should be replaced daily or according to institutional protocols.
- The COVEX Shield may be wiped with any standard disinfectant solution or wipes, or washed with soap and water between exposures or as often as Institutional protocols require
- Following cleaning, ensure that Mask is dry before using again, especially if chemical solutions are used.
The closed-cell foam on the COVEX Shield will not absorb cleaning solutions, however, a small amount of liquid may be retained on the outermost layer of the foam if it is saturated during cleaning. Therefore, it is not recommended to completely saturate the foam with cleaning liquid. If this occurs, however, dab the foam dry with a paper towel. If skin irritation caused by residual cleaning solutions is a concern, we recommend cleaning with soap and water. All of the reusable components of the COVEX Shield can be cleaned with the same method.
Store the COVEX Shield away from contaminated areas when not in use. The exhalation valve reduces moisture build-up. Nevertheless, it is recommended to store the COVEX Shield in a ventilated area to allow residual moisture to dry